Wednesday 16 March 2011

Neenish slice

Welcome , this is my first post of many more to come !

This recipe is a version of a traditional kiwi sweet the wonderful  neenish tart , apparently an Australian thing too !
As neenish tarts are quite fiddly to make I was excited when shown this recipe by my mother - who yes thought it looked fantastic and wanted her baking daughter to whip it up for her !

The first recipe I tried looked more like the real thing as in base similar colour & texture to neenish tart crust ,but icing quantities were wrong ! Icing came out very lemony & runny - still tasted good though , here is the first version I tried ...


So I thought I would try the original recipe shown to me which you can find here .

But ! I still got it wrong used 2 tsps of Cocoa not 2 Tbs - I really thought this slice had it in for me - it still tastes devine and yes the  third time will be a charm so when I attempt it again soon , I will add the recommend 2 Tb Cocoa to the base & double the icing , the lovely melted dark chocolate on top is a nice little addition , rather than chocolate icing as the slice is very sweet already !


150g butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp cocoa
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
25g butter
4 tbsp condensed milk
1 3/4 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
100g dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add egg and mix well.
2. Add combined cocoa, flour and baking powder and mix well. Press mixture into a tin non stick or oiled & floured bake for 20 minutes until firm & golden. Allow base to cool.
3. Melt the 25g butter and mix with condensed milk, icing sugar and lemon juice. Spread over base and allow to set .
4. Gently melt the chocolate  ( I do it in the Microwave at 20 sec intervals stirring in between & add a dash of oil to it , for a nice consistency ) and spread  over the slice. When nearly set cut into squares

Makes Heaps !

6 comments:

  1. Your delightful looking slice is on my to do list this weekend. Yummy ! Its making my mouth water just looking at the picture !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! So this is a slice version of it as a tart? When you buy it in the shops it's the one in a small circle with half white icing and half chocolate right? Or is that something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogger :-) Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Kate you are bang on , the little tartlet is half white icing half choc icing with creamy lemon filling in a sweet short pastry !

    ReplyDelete