More lemon recipes you say, why yes ! I guess I am including this as it is an absolute delight, one of the most delicious puddings you will ever taste.
As the weather gets colder the oven gets warmer round at my house and puddings are made 2-3 times a week, a great way to use the heat in your oven after cooking a meal and heat the house with deliciousness!
If you like lemons & sponge pudding then you have got to make it, honestly if you just want a real popular pudding whip this bad boy up & serve it with some greek yoghurt and as we say in NZ Bobs your uncle ! A lemon sauce forms under the sponge that is similar to a lemon curd!
This recipe comes form the grandmother of home cooking in New Zealand, the one, the only Alison Holst She is amazing, any recipe I have tried of hers is so tasty and easy. She does domestic goddess at its best.
This beauty is from The Ultimate Collection , hands down the only cookbook you could ever need. But somehow cookbooks are like shoes one more is never enough ....
Baked Lemon Sponge Pudding
50 g butter
1/4 Cup plain flour
2 eggs separated
grated rind of 2 lemons
1/4 Cup ( 60 ml ) lemon juice
3/4 Cup ( 185 ml ) milk
1. Turn the oven to 190 c, melt the butter in a small pot, add the flour and stir
2. Put the egg whites into an ovenproof dish that you can make the pudding in ( 1 litre capacity) add the yolks into the butter mixture
3. Beat the whites until they form soft peaks, add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat again until the tips of the peaks turn over when the beater is lifted from them
4. Add the reaming 1/2 cup sugar to the butter mixture with the lemon rind and juice.
5. Beat with the unwashed beater then add milk and beat again
6. Pour the lemon mix over the egg whites and fold gently to combine
7. Stand the dish in a larger bowl of hot water ( like a roasting dish ) , bake at 190c for about 40 mins until the centre is firm and golden brown - serve hot with ice cream or yoghurt & get ready to lick the dish.
Serves 4 if your lucky !